Some rip-off contractors dumped a pile of trash filled ColdFusion code on some totally naive (or crooked) project managers. Not a process ran without errors, including many 404 errors in the web server logs. The project manager told me to make it work. The code came in a big wad of multiple directory trees and many thousands of files, many types of file, no installation package, no build tools.
I decided to run a bunch of lint type searches on the ColdFusion files for each type of error, (like missing references,) to document the bugs. I found thousands of errors: missing file references, unused files, empty files, empty directories, as well as many coding errors that indicated the contractor never tested the code.
A project that uses common software engineering processes (specifications, testing to specifications, bug tracking, build tools, packaging code for release, regression testing and release testing) would not find much with a lint script, usually lint type programs give out a bunch of false positive errors, but on this bunch of code there were so many real errors I would have been happy to see a false positive.